Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Skin Aqua Tone Up UV Essence SPF50+ PA++++

For over a year I'd resisted these cotton candy-colored tubes and bottles of sunscreens that supposedly color-correct, but alas in the end my curiosity got the better of me and I picked up two 80g tubes of Skin Aqua Tone Up UV Essence SPF50+ PA++++ in the "regular" Lavender tint as well as the 2019 limited edition Mint Green.

It's worth noting that the Lavender tube I have is the old formula with alcohol from 2018, versus the Mint Green being the newer 2019 formula without alcohol.

All pictures taken in natural lighting without flash.

Originally, I wasn't going to bother with the Mint Green. However, I happened to buy the Lavender just a few weeks before the new formula was released (grrr) and didn't want two Lavender tubes. So I went for the Mint Green instead, which was different enough and with an alcohol-free formula, so I could at least compare it with the Lavender in the old formula.

The old-formula Lavender contains octinoxate (メトキシケイヒ酸エチルヘキシル), titanium dioxide (酸化チタン), Uvinul A Plus (ジエチルアミノヒドロキシベンゾイル安息香酸ヘキシル), and Tinosorb S (ビスエチルヘキシルオキシフェノールメトキシフェニルトリアジン) and isn't as "clean" as the 2019 new formula for sure. It does contain alcohol and is scented. It's also thicker and pastier. Even when I use a small amount (less than dime-size, which is much less than the required amount to get the listed SPF), I still get a kabuki mask that just wouldn't set no matter how long I wait. When I get impatient and "rub it in," the stuff would shift around in patches.

The new 2019 formula has octinoxate, Tinosorb S, Uvinul T 150 (エチルヘキシルトリアゾン), and titanium dioxide. Basically, still a combo sunscreen but with less mineral blocker--no idea what the actual concentration is though. The improvement lies in that it's free of alcohol, paraben, and mineral oil, with an even bigger improvement in the much-lighter texture. This stuff applies just like any other face cream! I can actually apply a dime-size amount and get a dewy matte finish without any visible white cast. When I apply more though, that's when it gets a bit pasty and greasy.

So back to mixing sunscreen cocktails I went, and boy was I glad both of these actually mixed well with other sunscreens. For a couple of months I was mixing either Lavender or Mint Green (started out with 5 "drops" but had since reduced to 3) with 5 loops of Hada-Labo Koi-Gokujyun Perfect UV Gel (this gel has been discontinued since 2017) and 20 drops of Nivea Sun Protect Water Milk Mild. Then I ran out of the Hada-Labo gel and moved on to SaraFit UV Sara Sara Essence, which produced a thicker gel-cream but still set okay. Did the lavender or mint green tint do anything at all for my complexion? Nope ^.^ 

Top to bottom: Evermere Cosmetics Moist Tec UV Gel SPF50+ PA++++ (will review later after a good trial), Lavender, and Mint Green. 

Post a Comment

0 Comments